Saturday, June 8, 2013

Interview With a Student

-the following is an interview with one of DR’s students, who has achieved her own Mastery-

What was your initial response to Reiki?

I’ve been a pagan and a student of holistic medicine for many years, so the concept of energy healing came somewhat naturally to me. I can understand how it would be more difficult to accept for others, but between my own paganism and my family’s Episcopalian background, the idea of healing through the “laying on of hands” seemed perfectly viable. During my first encounter, I felt it quite strongly (as sort of a tingling sensation, almost like getting goosebumps), and was able to work with the energy and practice on my own after my first attunement. My second attunement came with a deeper understanding of Reiki symbols and their purpose, and by the time I received my mastery it had become a daily part of my life.


How long did it take you to achieve your Mastery?

From the time I received my initial attunement, until receiving my Level 3 degree, I’d say it took about six months. For some people it might take less time, for others I’m sure it would take more. I was fortunate, Gary was a feature in my life at the time so I was able to seek guidance and instruction whenever I needed. I was spending time with a circle of spiritual people so it helped me to maintain my focus - also I did most of my studying over the course of a summer, which seemed to help. My schedule was mostly empty and I was able to devote my time to practicing what I really wanted to do.


You said that Reiki is a part of your daily life. How so?

I won’t lie - I’ve struggled with clinical depression and bipolar disorder for most of my life. A mental illness like that can make it difficult to focus on the positive energy that is Reiki. There have been times when I refused to tap into the life force at my very fingertips, out of sheer stubbornness. Reiki, while not issued directly from the practitioner, does require a certain degree of conviction to channel properly, and there have been moments where I just didn’t feel that. It can happen to anyone. But I would encourage them to not give up. Reiki is a big part of my life as a spiritualist, a friend, a wife and a mother. When received from another, it helped me to battle the very issues that made me lay it aside in the first place. When my son cries over his new teeth or a tummyache, I can tell him it will be okay and mean it (Reiki is so wonderful to use with babies because it’s completely safe and also gives them the sensation of spiritual mother-comfort they crave, I love that). I have a Reiki box for distance healings on my altar and use it regularly, it gives me a sense of peace to know that I can aid my friends and family, near or far, if they need me - even if I can’t be there in person, I know that my positive, healing intentions, through Reiki, will reach them. And yes, I use Reiki on myself. I’ve been sickly most of my life - diabetes, fibromyalgia, and the various complications that can stem from those disorders. Reiki helps to keep me in good health and good spirits so that I can go about my days positively.

How have you connected with others in the Reiki community?

I’ve attuned two other students, one to Level 2 and the other to Level 1. We’re still working on studying together - in both cases it’s a long-distance relationship so we’ve been taking our time. It’s really satisfying to me to see someone who really needs it unlock their abilities and use Reiki to help themselves get on a positive spiritual path. It’s been very rewarding, definitely worth the time and study. I’ve made contact with a practitioner of veterinary Reiki (4pawreiki.com), and her abilities are really amazing. I think it takes a special kind of person to use this energy to connect to animals in the way she has, and I’d really like to learn to do so myself. More and more I find that when I mention that I have my Reiki degree, others are responding with recognition and enthusiasm - even those that have never experienced Reiki firsthand know someone that has, or has a friend who is a practitioner. It’s very encouraging. I look forward to the day when energy healing is just a matter of course, something that is understood and accepted by everyone - because that would be something that would work to everyone’s advantage.


Any other comments?

I would like to point out that while I am such a strong proponent of Reiki and its benefits, both spiritually and physically, I also have some faith in the medical establishment. Reiki has enriched my life and made me healthy and at peace in a way that in my younger years I didn’t think possible, but I do have a medical doctor whom I see if something is truly wrong. Reiki can work alongside conventional medicine, hand-in-hand with traditional methods, there is no reason not to. I’ve seen it brought onto the playing field in the ICU at University of Pennsylvania hospital, in a prominent local psychiatry and therapy office, in veterinary medicine and even in prisons. If you or a loved one are admitted to a hospital, ask if they have a Reiki practitioner on staff or if they would be willing to invite one. The answer might surprise you. Energy healing has been recognized in Eastern medicine for thousands of years, and Western medicine is finally starting to take it seriously as well. Get involved, ask questions, spread the word and the energy however you can. Blessed be.

No comments:

Post a Comment